The Lower Pelzer Dam was built in 1894 and was installed 3 large GE turbines. They produced 3,300 volts of electricity for the Pelzer Mills upstream on the Slauda River. Eelctricity ran 2 5/8 miles to the mills. CD 245s were used on the line. Posted by permission of Bill Cunningham, former Pelzer Village Crew worker.
Learn more about the history of early hydroelectric in South Carolina.
Portman Shoals 1897: [id=340212432] Berry Shoals 1900: [id=330110326] Holiday Shoals 1905: [id=332438399] Ninety-Nine Islands 1909 [id=358895213]